Card's author : Outils Réseaux
Card's type of licence : Creative Commons BY-SA
To begin with : YesWiki is a free wiki engine, modular, under GPL licence, which allows to create and manage a website or an intranet. YesWiki is particularly intended for groups wishing to be equipped with an internet-cooperating tool.
Official website : http://yeswiki.net
Tool's boxes : Wikis
Introduction : Just like its dad Wikini, on which it leans, YesWiki allows with any web browser :
- the creation, deleting, modifying, commenting of web pages, whatever the number of publishers and of pages.
- the management of file system permissions to different pages (read, write, comment), by one or a group of users.
- a visual and intuitive laying out of contents, without IT knowledge.
- the instantanous publishing of any page creation or modification.
- the analysis, the management of the site from simple features : site map, list of users, list of the last modified pages, etc.
- YesWiki is also:
- templates, adjustable to each site.
- the generalizing of the wiki principle to the whole site : modification of the title, banner, menus, footer etc. with a simple double-click.
- a flexible antispam.
- the ability to join to each page an office or multimedia file with posting or reading of the content for images, sounds, videos, mind maps.
- a manager of extensions allowing to add new features such as database, key-words, microblog, shared forecast etc.
- Having a PHP / MySQL web hosting
Some practical uses :
- it helps to approach existencial matters !
- it helps to create a potentially collaborative website easily
- it helps to keep the control on the website
- it helps to think about the question of power
- it helps to set up intranets
- it helps to co-write books
- it helps to co-build projects
- and it helps to demonstrate that project that are co-built are feasible and efficient
- it helps to demystify the internet
- it helps to do databases even better than a Googleform
- it helps to point out the people who really want to cooperate (others say that anyone can change their name)
- it helps to spot the IT specialists who see in cooperation safety weaknesses
- it helps to remove passwords in order to act
- it helps to show that Wiki can also rhyme with pretty
- it helps to increase one's skills for the sake of the whole team
Using the tools :
Going further : Documentation "get on's hand dirty" for the setting up, the configuration, the customization
- Cours "Setting up Wikini" (in french)
- Cours "Setting up, configurating extensions to Wikini" (in french)
- Cours "Changing a Wikini design with templates" (in french)
- Explore the official website to find out technical datas, additional modules (in french)
- very easy to start writing
- flexible (extensions of databases, qrcodes, etc...)
- the new features given by extensions offer multiple cooperative possibilities.
- easy-to-edit menus
- Need to know the specific wiki syntax
- the"tools" extensions add complexity: be careful to add them when the group is mature enough.
- small community of developers.
Licence : Open sources, Free
Using : Easy
Setting up : Reserved for IT Jedis